- Keller, K., Steffe, A., Lowry, M., Murphy, J., Suthers, I., (2016). Monitoring boat-based recreational fishing effort at a nearshore artificial reef with a shore-based camera. Fisheries Research 181:84-92.
- Smith, J.A., Lowry, M.B., Champion, C., Suthers, I.M. (2016). A designed artificial reef is among the most productive marine fish habitats: new metrics to address ‘production versus attraction’. Marine Biology 168: 188.
- Henschke, N., Everett, J.D., Richardson, A.J. and Suthers, I.M., (2016) Rethinking the Role of Salps in the Ocean. Trends in Ecology and Evolution
- Schaeffer, A., Roughan, M., Austin, T., Everett, J.D., Griffin, D., Hollings, B., King, E., Mantovanelli, A., Milburn, S., Pasquer, B., Pattiaratchi, C., Robertson, R., Stanley, D., Suthers, I.M. and White, D. (2016) Mean hydrography on the continental shelf from 26 repeat glider deployments along Southeastern Australia. Scientific Data
- Henschke, N., Everett, J.D. and Suthers, I.M., 2016. An observation of two oceanic salp swarms in the Tasman Sea: Thetys vagina and Cyclosalpa affinis . Marine Biodiversity Records , 9(1),
- Doblin, M.A., Petrou, K., Sinutok, S., Seymour, J.R., Messer, L.F., Brown, M.V., Norman, L., Everett, J.D., McInnes, A.S., Ralph, P.J. and Thompson, P.A., 2016. Nutrient uplift in a cyclonic eddy increases diversity, primary productivity and iron demand of microbial communities relative to a western boundary current. PeerJ , 4, p.e1973.
- Carroll, G., Everett, J.D., Harcourt, R., Slip, D., Jonsen, I. (2016). High sea surface temperatures driven by a strengthening current reduce foraging success by penguins. Scientific Reports 6: 22236
- Smith, J.A., Lowry, M.B., Champion, C., Suthers, I.M. (2015). Fish attraction to artificial reefs not always harmful: a simulation study.Ecology and Evolution 5(20), 4590-4602.
- Champion, C., Suthers, I.M. and Smith, J.A., 2015. Zooplanktivory is a key process for fish production on a coastal artificial reef. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 541, pp.1-14.
- Brodie, S., Hobday, A. J., Smith, J. A., Everett, J. D., Taylor, M. D., Gray, C. A., Suthers, I. M. (2015). Modelling the oceanic habitats of two pelagic species using recreational fisheries data. Fisheries Oceanography 24(5), 463-477
- Henschke, N., Everett, J. D., Suthers, I. M., Smith, J. A., Hunt, B. P., Doblin, M. A., Taylor, M. D. (2015). Zooplankton trophic niches respond to different water types of the western Tasman Sea: A stable isotope analysis. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers 104, 1-8
- Henschke, N., Smith, J.A., Everett, J.D., Suthers, I.M. (2015) Population drivers of a Thalia democratica swarm: insights from population modelling. Journal of Plankton Research 37(5): 1074 – 1087
- Everett, Jason D.; Doblin, Martina A.(2015) Characterising primary productivity measurements across a dynamic western boundary current region. Deep-Sea Research Part I-Oceanographic Research Papers 100 105-116 DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr.2015.02.010
- Everett, J. D.; Macdonald, H.; Baird, M. E.; Humphries, J.; Roughan, M.; Suthers, I.M, (2015) Cyclonic entrainment of preconditioned shelf waters into a frontal eddy Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 120(2) 677-691. DOI: 10.1002/2014JC010301
- Gannon, R. Payne, N. L., Suthers, I. M. Gray, C.A., van der Meulen, D.E., Taylor, M.D. (2015) Fine-scale movements, site fidelity and habitat use of an estuarine dependent sparidEnvironmental Biology of Fishes 98(6) 1599-1608 DOI: 10.1007/s10641-015-0385-5
- Payne, N.L., van der Meulen, D.E., Suthers, I.M., Gray, C.A., Taylor, M.D.(2015) Foraging intensity of wild mulloway Argyrosomus japonicusdecreases with increasing anthropogenic disturbance Marine Biology 162(3) 539-546 DOI: 10.1007/s00227-014-2603-7
- Payne, N.L., van der Meulen, D.E., Suthers, I.M., Gray, C.A., Walsh, C.T., Taylor, M.D. (2015) Rain-driven changes in fish dynamics: a switch from spatial to temporal segregation Marine Ecology Progress Series 528267-275 DOI: 10.3354/meps11285
- Rayner, T.S., Kingsford, R.T., Suthers, I.M., Cruz, D.O., (2015) Regulated recruitment: native and alien fish responses to widespread floodplain inundation in the Macquarie Marshes, arid AustraliaEcohydrology 8(1) 148-159 DOI: 10.1002/eco.1496
- Scott, M.E., Smith, J.A., Lowry, M.B., Taylor, M.D., Suthers, I.M. (2015) The influence of an offshore artificial reef on the abundance of fish in the surrounding pelagic environment. Marine and Freshwater Research 66(5) 429-437 DOI: 10.1071/MF14064
- Hughes, J.M., Stewart, J., Lyle, J.M. and Suthers, I.M. (2014) Top-down pressure on small pelagic fish by eastern Australian salmon Arripis trutta; estimation of daily ration and annual prey consumption using multiple techniques. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology , 459, 190-198.
- Becker, A. and Suthers, I.M. (2014) Predator driven diel variation in abundance and behaviour of fish in deep and shallow habitats of an estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 144, 82-88.
- Smith, J.A., and M. D. Taylor (2014) A peaked logistic-based selection curve. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- Henschke, N., Everett, J.D., Doblin, M.A., Pitt, K.A., Richardson, A.J. and Suthers, I.M. (2014) Demography and interannual variability of salp swarms (Thalia democratica). Marine Biology, 161, 149–163.
- Everett, J. D. and Baird, M. E. and Roughan, M and Suthers, I. M. (2014) Relative impact of seasonal and oceanographic drivers on surface chlorophyll a along a Western Boundary Current. Progress in Oceanography 120 340-351
- Folpp, H., Lowry, M., Gregson, M., Suthers, I.M., (2014) Fish assemblages on estuarine artificial reefs: natural rocky-reef mimics or discrete assemblages?PloS one 8(6) e63505 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063505
- Henschke, N, Bowden, D A, Everett, Jason D, Holmes, S P, Kloser, R J, Lee, R W and Suthers, Iain M (2013) Salp-falls in the Tasman Sea: a major food input to deep-sea benthos. Marine Ecology Progress Series , 491:165–175
- Hughes, J. M., Stewart, J., Lyle, J. M., McAllister, J., Stocks, J. R., and Suthers, I. M. (2013). Latitudinal, ontogenetic, and historical shifts in the diet of a carnivorous teleost, Arripis trutta, in a coastal pelagic ecosystem altered by climate change. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 70, 1209-1230. doi:10.1139/cjfas-2013-0083
- Pursche, A. R., Suthers, I. M., and Taylor, M. D. (2013). Post-release monitoring of site and group fidelity in acoustically tagged stocked fish. Fisheries Management and Ecology 20, 445-453. doi:10.1111/fme.12031
- Semmens, J.M., N.L. Payne, C. Huveneers, D.W. Sims and B.D. Bruce (2013) Feeding requirements of white sharks may be higher than originally thought. Scientific Reports. 3 (1471) doi:10.1038/srep01471.
- Payne, N.L., E.P. Snelling, J.M. Semmens and B.M. Gillanders (2013) Mechanisms of population structuring in giant Australian cuttlefish Sepia apama. PLOS One. 11 March. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0058694
- Payne, N.L., D.E. van der Meulen, R. Gannon, J.M. Semmens, I.M. Suthers, C.A. Gray, and M.D. Taylor (2013) Rain reverses diel activity rhythms in an estuarine teleost. Proceedings of the Royal Society B- Biological Sciences. 280 (1750) doi:10.1098/rspb.2012.2363.
- Mullaney, T.J. & Suthers, I.M. (2013) Entrainment and retention of the coastal larval fish assemblage by a short-lived, submesoscale, frontal eddy of the East Australian Current. Limnology and Oceanography 58: 1546-1556
- Heagney E.C., B.M. Gillanders & I.M. Suthers. (2013) The effect of parasitism by a blood-feeding isopod on the otolith chemistry of host fish. Marine & Freshwater Research 64: 10-19, doi:10.1071/MF12123
- Smith, J.A., D. Mazumder, I. M. Suthers, M. D. Taylor (2013) To fit or not to fit: evaluating stable isotope mixing models using simulated mixing polygons. Methods in Ecology and Evolution
- Smith, J.A., Baumgartner, L.J., Suthers, I.M., Fielder, D.S., Taylor, M.D. (2013) Density-dependent energy use constributes to the self-thinning relationship of cohorts. The American Naturalist 181 (3)
- Bryars, S., P. Rogers, C. Huveneers, N.L. Payne, I. Smith and B. McDonald (2012). Small home range in southern Australia’s largest resident reef fish, the western blue groper (Achoerodus gouldii): implications for adequacy of no-take marine protected areas. Marine and Freshwater Research 63 (6).
- Everett, J. D., M. E. Baird, P. R. Oke, and I. M. Suthers (2012), An Avenue of Eddies: Quantifying the biophysical properties of mesoscale eddies in the Tasman Sea, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L16608 doi:10.1029/2012GL053091
- Smith, J.A., Baumgartner, L.J., Suthers, I.M., Ives, M.C., Taylor, M.D. (2012) Estimating the stocking potential of fish in impoundments by modelling supply and steady-state demand Freshwater Biology 57 :1482–1499
- Ochwada-Doyle F, Gray CA, Loneragan NR, Suthers IM, Taylor MD (2012) Competition between wild and captive-bred Penaeus plebejus and implications for stock enhancement. Marine Ecology Progress Series 450:115-129
- Gillson, J., Scandol, J. & Suthers, I.M. (2012). Effects of flood and drought events on multi-species, multi-method estuarine and coastal fisheries in eastern Australia. Fisheries Management and Ecology 19 :54–68
- Gillson, J. & Scandol, J. (2012). Spreading the economic risk: harvesting strategies of multi-method inshore fisheries during drought in eastern Australia. Fisheries Research 113 :106-117
- Everett, J.D., Baird, M.E., Suthers, I.M., 2011. Three-dimensional structure of a swarm of the salp Thalia democratica within a cold-core eddy off southeast Australia.Journal of Geophysical Research 116: C12046. doi:10.1029/2011JC007310
- Henschke, N., Everett, J.D., Baird, M.E., Taylor, M.D., Suthers, I.M. (2011) Distribution and life history stages of the salp Thalia democratica in shelf waters during a spring bloom . Marine Ecology Progress Series 430 49-62
- Baird, M.E., Everett, J.D., Suthers, I.M., (2011) Analysis of southeast Australian zooplankton observations of 1938-42 using synoptic oceanographic conditions. Deep Sea Research II 58(5) 699-711
- Hassler, C.S., Djajadikarta, J.R., Doblin, M.A., Everett, J.D., Thompson, P.A. (2011) Characterisation of water masses and phytoplankton nutrient limitation in the East Australian Current separation zone during Spring 2008. Deep Sea Research II 58(5) 664-677
- Baird, M.E., Suthers, I.M., Griffin, D.A., Hollings, B., Pattiaratchi, C., Everett, J.D., Roughan, M., Oubelkheir, K., Doblin, M.A. (2011) The effect of surface flooding on the physical-biogeochemical dynamics of a warm core eddy off southeast Australia. Deep Sea Research II 58(5) 592-605
- Suthers, I.M., Everett, J.D., Roughan, M., Young, J.W., Oke, P.R., Condie, S.A., Hartog, J.R., et al. (2011). The strengthening East Australian Current, its eddies and biological effects – an introduction and overview. Deep-Sea Research Part II-Topical Studies in Oceanography 58 :538-546
- Gillson, J. (2011). Freshwater flow and fisheries production in estuarine and coastal systems: where a drop of rain is not lost. Reviews in Fisheries Science 19:168-186
- Folpp, H., Lowry, M., Gregson, M. & Suthers, I.M. (2011). Colonization and community development of fish assemblages associated with estuarine artificial reefs. Brazilian Journal of Oceanography 59 :55-67
- McKinley, A.C., Ryan, L., Coleman, M., Knott, N., Clarke, G., Taylor, M.D., Johnston, E.L. (2011). Putting marine sanctuaries into context: A comparison of estuary fish assemblages over multiple levels of protection and disturbance. Aquatic Conservation 21 :636-648
- Mckinley, A.C., Dafforn, K.A., Taylor, M.D. & Johnston, E.L. (2011). High levels of sediment contamination have little influence on estuarine beach fish communities. Plos One 6(10):e26353.
- Mckinley, A.C., Miskiewicz, A., Taylor, M.D. & Johnston, E.L. (2011). Strong links between metal contamination, habitat modification and estuarine larval fish distributions. Environmental Pollution 159 :1499-1509
- Smith, J.A., Baumgartner, L.J., Suthers, I.M. & Taylor, M.D. (2011). Generalist niche, specialist strategy: the diet of an Australian percichthyid. Journal of Fish Biology 78 :1183-1199
- Smith, J.A., Baumgartner, L.J., Suthers, I.M. & Taylor, M.D. (2011). Distribution and movement of a stocked freshwater fish: implications of a variable habitat volume for stocking programs. Marine & Freshwater Research 62:1342-1353
- Mullaney, T.J., Miskiewicz, A.G., Baird, M.E., Burns, P.T.P. & Suthers, I.M. (2011). Entrainment of larval fish assemblages from the inner shelf into the East Australian Current and into the western Tasman Front. Fisheries Oceanography 20 :434-447
- Syahailatua, A., Roughan, M. & Suthers, I.M. (2011). Characteristic ichthyoplankton taxa in the separation zone of the East Australian Current: Larval assemblages as tracers of coastal mixing. Deep-Sea Research Part II-Topical Studies in Oceanography 58 :678-690
- Syahailatua, A., Taylor, M.D. & Suthers, I.M. (2011). Growth variability and stable isotope composition of two larval carangid fishes in the East Australian Current: the role of upwelling in the separation zone. Deep-Sea Research Part II-Topical Studies in Oceanography 58:691-698
- Taylor, M.D. & Ko, A. (2011). Monitoring acoustically tagged king prawns Penaeus (Melicertus) plebejus in an estuarine lagoon. Marine Biology 158 :835-844
- Ochwada-Doyle F., Gray, C.A., Loneragan, N.R., Taylor, M.D. & Suthers, I.M. (2011). Spatial and temporal variability in the condition of postlarval and juvenile Penaeus plebejus sampled from a population subjected to pilot releases. Aquaculture Environment Interactions 2 :15-25
- Payne, N. L., Semmens, J. M. & Gillanders, B. M. (2011). Elemental uptake via immersion: a mass-marking technique for the early life-history stages of cephalopods. Marine Ecology Progress Series 436 :169-176
- Baird, M.E. (2010) Limits to prediction in a size-resolved pelagic ecosystem model. Journal of Plankton Research 32 :1131-1146
- Baird, M.E. & Suthers, I.M. (2010). Increasing model structural complexity inhibits the growth of initial condition errors. Ecological Complexity 7 :478-486
- Ford, J.R., Williams, R.J., Fowler, A.M., Cox, D.R. & Suthers, I.M. (2010). Identifying critical estuarine seagrass habitat for settlement of coastally spawned fish. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 408 :181-193
- Ochwada-Doyle, F., Gray, C.A., Loneragan, N.R. & Taylor, M.D. (2010). Using experimental ecology to understand stock enhancement: Comparisons of habitat-related predation on wild and hatchery-reared Penaeus plebejus Hess. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 390 :65-71
- Taylor, M.D., Mullaney, T.J. & Suthers, I.M. (2010). Mesoscale distribution of larval Euphausia similis in various water masses of the East Australian Current. Deep-Sea Research Part I-Oceanographic Research Papers 57 :1295-1303
- Taylor, M.D. & Mazumder, D. (2010). Stable isotopes reveal post-release trophodynamic and ontogenetic changes in a released finfish, mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus). Marine & Freshwater Research 61 :302-308
- Stewart, J. & Hughes, J.M. (2010). Life-history traits of the southern hemisphere eastern red scorpionfish Scorpaena cardinalis (Scorpaenidae: Scorpaeninae). Marine & Freshwater Research 61 :1290-1297
- Wright KJ, DM Higgs, DH Cato and JM Leis (2010) Auditory sensitivity in settlement-stage larvae of coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs 29: 235-243
- Taylor M, S Fielder and IM Suthers (2009) Growth and viability of hatchery-reared Argyrosomus japonicus releases into open and semi-closed systems. Fisheries Management and Ecology 16: 478-483
- Ives MC, JP Scandol, S Montgomery, and IM Suthers (2009) Modelling the possible effects of climate change on an Australian multi-fleet prawn fishery. Marine & Freshwater Research 60: 1211-1222
- Gillson J, J Scandol, IM Suthers (2009) Estuarine gillnet fishery catch rates decline during drought in eastern Australia. Fisheries Research 99: 26-37
- Ochwada F, Loneragan NR, Gray CA, Suthers IM, Taylor, MD (2009) Complexity affects habitat preference and predation mortality in postlarval Penaeus plebejus: implications for stock enhancement Marine Ecology Progress Series 380:161–171,
- Pursche AR, Suthers IM, Taylor MD (2009) Tethering induces increased stress artifacts in social fish species. Journal of Fish Biology 74:1525–1531
- Rissik D, Ho Shon E, Newell B, Baird ME, Suthers IM, (2009) Plankton dynamics due to rainfall, eutrophication, dilution, grazing and assimilation in an urbanized coastal lagoon Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 84:99-107
- Kingsford, M.J., Hughes, J.M. and Patterson, H.M. (2009). Otolith chemistry of the non-dispersing reef fish Acanthochromis polyacanthus: Cross-shelf patterns from the central Great Barrier Reef. Marine Ecology Progress Series 377: 279–288.
- Piola R, D Rissik, IM Suthers (2008) Carbon and nitrogen stable isotope analysis indicates freshwater shrimp Paratya australiensis Kemp, 1917 (Atyidae) assimilate cyanobacterial accumulations. Hydrobiologia 608: 121-132
- Wright KJ, Higgs DM, Belanger AJ, Leis, JM (2008) Auditory and olfactory abilities of larvae of the Indo-Pacific coral trout Plectropomus leopardus (Lacepède) at settlement Journal of Fish Biology 72: 2543–2556
- Taylor MD, Piola RF (2008) Scale stocking checks to differentiate between wild and hatchery-reared mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus). Fisheries Management and Ecology 15: 211-216
- Taylor MD. (2008) Spatial and temporal patterns of habitat use by three estuarine species of mysid shrimp. Marine & Freshwater Research 59: 792-798.
- Taylor MD (2008) Fishy science: The raw prawn. In ‘Fishing World’. pp. 72-73
- Taylor MD, Suthers IM (2008) A Predatory Impact Model and targeted stocking approach for optimal release of mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus). Reviews in Fisheries Science 16:125-134.
- Dela-Cruz J, JH Middleton, IM Suthers 2008 The influence of upwelling, coastal currents and water temperature on the distribution of the red tide dinoflagellate, Noctiluca scintillans, along the east coast of Australia. Hydrobiologia 598: 59-75.
- Baird, M. E., P. G. Timko, I. M. Suthers, J. H. Middleton, T. J. Mullaney and D. R. Cox (2008) Biological properties across the Tasman Front off southeast Australia. Deep Sea Research I 55: 1438-1455
- Fowler, AM, JM Leis, IM Suthers. 2008 Onshore-offshore distribution and abundance of tuna larvae (Pisces: Scombridae: Thunnini) in near-reef waters of the Coral Sea. US Fish. Bulletin 106: 405-416.
- Everett JD, Baird ME, Suthers IM, 2007. Nutrient and plankton dynamics in an intermittently closed/open lagoon, Smiths Lake, south-eastern Australia: An ecological model. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 72: 690–702.
- Heagney EC, Lynch TP, Babcock RC, Suthers IM, 2007. Pelagic fish assemblages assessed using mid-water baited video: standardising fish counts using bait plume size. Marine Ecology Progress Series 350: 255-266.
- Ives, MC, JP Scandol. 2007. A Bayesian Analysis of NSW Eastern King Prawn Stocks (Melicertus plebejus) using multiple model structures. Fisheries Research 84: 314–327.
- Baird, ME, PG Timko, L Wu 2007 The effect of packaging of chlorophyll within phytoplankton and light scattering in a coupled physical-biological ocean model. Marine and Freshwater Research. 58: 966-981, doi:10.1071/MF07055
- Baird, ME, O Leth and JF. Middleton 2007 Biological response to circulation driven by mean summertime winds off central Chile: A numerical model study. Journal of Geophysical Research (Oceans) 112: C07031, doi:10.1029/2006JC003655
- Baird, ME and IM Suthers 2007 A size-resolved pelagic ecosystem model. Ecological Modelling 203: 185-203
- Leis JM, Wright KJ, Johnson RN (2007) Behaviour that influences dispersal and connectivity in the small, young larvae of a reef fishMarine Biology 153:103–117
- Taylor MD, DS Fielder and IM Suthers (2006). Spatial and ontogenetic variation in the diet of wild and stocked mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus, Sciaenidae) in Australian estuaries. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 29: 785-793
- Taylor MD, S Laffan, IM Suthers and DS Fielder. (2006). Key habitat and home range of mulloway (Argyrosomus japonicus) in a south-east Australian estuary: Finding the estuarine niche to optimise stocking. Marine Ecology Progress Series 328: 237-247
- Suthers, IM, C. T. Taggart, D. Rissik, ME Baird. (2006). Day and night ichthyoplankton assemblages and zooplankton biomass size spectrum in a deep ocean island wake. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 322: 225–238
- Caldarone EM, CM Clemmesen, E Berdalet, TJ Miller, A Folkvord, GJ Holt, MP Olivar MP, IM Suthers. (2006) Intercalibration of four spectrofluorometric protocols for measuring RNA/DNA ratios in larval and juvenile fish. Limnology & Oceanography Methods 4: 153–163
- Moore SK, ME Baird and IM Suthers (2006). Relative impacts of physical and biological processes on nutrient and phytoplankton dynamics in a shallow estuary after a storm event. Estuaries & Coasts 29: 81-95
- Moore, SK, IM Suthers, (2006) Evaluation and correction of subresolved particles by the optical plankton counter in three Australian estuaries with pristine to highly modified catchments. Journal of Geophysical Research 3: 1-14
- Piola, R, S Moore and IM Suthers. (2006) Carbon and nitrogen stable isotope analysis of three types of oyster tissue in an impacted estuary. Estuarine Coastal Shelf Science 66: 255-266
- Baird, ME, PG Timko, IM Suthers and JH Middleton (2006) Coupled physical-biological modelling study of the East Australian Current with idealised wind forcing. Part I: Biological model intercomparison. Journal of Marine Systems 59: 249-270.
- Baird, ME, PG Timko, IM Suthers and JH Middleton (2006) Coupled physical-biological modelling study of the East Australian Current with idealised wind forcing: Part II: Biological dynamical analysis. Journal of Marine Systems 59: 271-291. (Correction: images of Fig. 15 and 16 are reversed).
- Wright KJ, Higgs DM, Belanger AJ, Leis, JM (2005) Auditory and olfactory abilities of pre-settlement larvae and post-settlement juveniles of a coral reef damselfish (Pisces: Pomacentridae) Marine Biology 147:1425-1434
- Taylor MD, Paul J. Palmer, D. Stewart Fielder, Iain M. Suthers. (2005) Responsible estuarine finfish stock enhancement: an Australian perspective. Journal of Fish Biology 67: 299-331
- Begg, GA, SE Campana, AJ Fowler and IM Suthers. (2005) Otolith research and application: current directions in innovation and implementation. Marine and Freshwater Research 56: 477-483
- Moore, S.K., Suthers, IM (2005) Can the Nitrogen and Carbon Stable Isotopes of the Pygmy Mussel, Xenostrobus securis, Indicate Catchment Disturbance for Estuaries in Northern New South Wales, Australia? Estuaries 28: 714-725.
- Uehara, S., CT. Taggart, T Mitani and IM Suthers. (2005) The abundance of juvenile yellowtail (Seriola quinqueradiata) near the Kuroshio Current: the roles of drifting sargassum and regional hydrography. Fisheies Oceanography
- Uehara, S, A Syahailatua and IM Suthers. (2005) Recent growth rate of larval pilchards Sardinops sagax in relation to their stable isotope composition, in an upwelling zone of the East Australian Current. Marine & Freshwater Research 56: 549–560
- Uehara, S, A Syahailatua and IM Suthers. (2005) The d15N and d13C signatures of faster growing larval pilchards, Sardinops sagax: contrasting effects of upwelling by the East Australian Current.
- Taylor, MD, S Fielder and IM Suthers. (2005) Batch marking of otoliths and fin spines to assess the stock enhancement of mulloway, Argyrosomus japonicus (Temminck & Schlegel, 1844) using a novel technique. Journal of Fish Biology 66: 1149-1162.
- Kingsford, MJ and Hughes, JM (2005) Patterns of growth, mortality and size of the tropical damselfish Acanthochromis polyacanthus across the continental shelf of the Great Barrier Reef. Fishery Bulletin 103: 561-573
- Stewart, J. and Hughes, J.M. (2005) Longevity, growth, reproduction and a description of the fishery for silver sweep Scorpis lineolatus off New South Wales, Australia. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 39: 827-838.
- Baird, ME and J.H. Middleton (2004) On relating physical limits to the carbon : nitrogen ratio of unicellular algae and benthic plants. Journal of Marine Systems 49: 169-175.
- Baird, ME, PR Oke, I. M. Suthers and J. H. Middleton. (2004) A plankton population model with bio-mechanical descriptions of biological processes in an idealized 2-D ocean basin. Journal of Marine Systems 50: 199-222.
- Baird, ME, M Roughan, RW Brander, JH Middleton and GJ Nippard (2004) Mass transfer limited nitrate uptake on a coral reef flat, Warraber Island, Torres Strait, Australia. Coral reefs 23:386-396.
- Lowry, M. and IM Suthers. (2004) Population structure of aggregations and response to spear fishing of a large temperate reef fish, Cheilodactylus fuscus. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 273: 199-210
- Gaston, TF, A Kostoglidos and IM Suthers. (2004) The 13C, 15N and 34S signature of a rocky reef planktivorous fish does indicate different coastal discharges of sewage. Marine & Freshwater Research 55: 689-699
- Gaston, T.F., Suthers, IM (2004) Spatial variation in d13C and d15N of liver, muscle and bone in a rocky reef planktivorous fish: the relative contribution of sewage. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 304: 17-33
- Suthers, IM, D. Kelley, C.T. Taggart, J.H. Middleton and D. Rissik. (2004) Entrainment and advection in an island’s tidal wake, as revealed by light attenuance, zooplankton, and ichthyoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 49:283-296
- Smith, KA (2003). Larval distribution of some commercially valuable fish species over the Sydney continental shelf. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales 124:1-11.
- Baird, ME, S.J. Walker, B.B. Wallace, I.T. Webster and J.S. Parslow (2003) The use of mechanistic descriptions of algal growth and zooplankton grazing in an estuarine eutrophication model. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 56: 685-695.
- Baird, ME (2003) Numerical approximations of the mean absorption cross-section of a variety of randomly oriented microalgal shapes. Journal of Mathematical Biology 47: 325-336
- Baird, ME (2003) Reply to ‘In defence of the cell quota model of micro-algal growth’ by M. R. Droop. Journal of Plankton Research 25: 109-110.
- Dela-Cruz, J., J.H. Middleton, and IM. Suthers. (2003). Population growth and transport of the red tide dinoflagellate, Noctiluca scintillans, in the coastal waters off Sydney Australia, using cell diameter as a tracer. Limnology and Oceanography 48: 656-674.
1999 and older
- Suthers, IM, T van de Meeren, and K.E. Jørstad. (1999). Growth histories of three Norwegian cod stocks co-reared in mesocosms, derived from otolith microstructure; the effect of prey size. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56: 658–672.
- Murray, S and Suthers, IM (1999) Population ecology of Noctiluca scintillans Macartney, a red-tide-forming dinoflagellate. Marine & Freshwater Research 50:243-252.
- Smith, A.K. and Suthers, IM 1999. Effects of sewage effluent discharge on the abundance, condition and mortality of hulafish, Trachinops taeniatus (Plesiopidae). Environmental Pollution 106: 97-106.
- Smith, K.A. and Suthers, IM 1999 Displacement of ichthyoplankton assemblages by a coastal upwelling event on the Sydney shelf. Marine Ecology Progress Series 176: 49-62.
- Smith, K.A., M. Gibbs, J.H. Middleton, and IM Suthers. 1999 Short term variability in fish assemblages off of the Sydney shelf: tracers of hydrographic variability. Marine Ecology Progress Series 178:1-15.
- Baird, ME and S. M. Emsley 1999 Towards a mechanistic model of plankton population dynamics. Journal of Plankton Research 21: 85-126.
- Lockett, M., and IM Suthers. 1998. Ontogenetic diet shift and feeding activity in a temperate reef fish – Cheilodactylus fuscus. Proceedings of the Linnean Society New South Wales 120: 105-116.
- Lowry, M.B. and IM Suthers. 1998. Home range and homing behaviour of a temperature rocky reef fish, Cheilodactylus fuscus. Marine Biology132: 569-578.
- Suthers, IM 1998. Bigger or fatter – or is faster growth better? Considerations on condition in larval and pelagic juvenile coral reef fish. Australian Journal of Ecology 23: 265-273.
- Baird, ME and M. J. Atkinson (1997) Measurement and prediction of mass transfer to experimental coral reef communities. Limnology and Oceanography 42: 1685-1693.
- Rissik, D., IM Suthers, and C. Taggart. 1997. Enhanced zooplankton abundance in the lee of an isolated reef in the south Coral Sea: the role of flow disturbance. Journal of Plankton Research 19: 1347-1368.
- Dempster,T., M. Gibbs, D. Rissik and IM Suthers. 1997. Beyond hydrography: ichthyoplankton and coastal dynamics off Sydney. Continental Shelf Research 17: 1461-1481.
- Kingsford, M.J., IM Suthers, and C.A. Gray. 1996. Exposure to sewage plumes and the incidence of deformities in larval fishes. Marine Pollution Bulletin 33: 201-212.
- Rissik, D. and IM Suthers. 1996 Feeding in a larval fish assemblage: the nutritional significance of an estuarine plume front. Marine Biology125: 233-240.
- Kingsford, M.J. and IM Suthers. 1996. The influence of the tide on patterns of ichthyoplankton abundance in the vicinity of an estuarine front, Botany Bay, Australia. Estuarine and Coastal Shelf Science 43: 33-54.
- Suthers, IM and S. Sundby. 1996. Role of the midnight sun: comparative growth of pelagic juvenile cod (Gadus morhua) from the Arcto-Norwegian and south west Nova stocks. ICES Journal of Marine Science 53: 827-836.
- Suthers, IM 1996. Spatial variability of recent otolith growth and RNA indices in pelagic juvenile Diaphus kapalae (Myctophidae): an effect of flow disturbance near an island? Marine and Freshwater Research 47: 273-282.
- Suthers, IM, J.J. Cleary, S.C. Battaglene, and R. Evans. 1996. Relative RNA content as a measure of condition in larval and juvenile fish. Marine and Freshwater Research 47: 301-307.
- Kingsford, M.J. and IM Suthers. 1994. Dynamic estuarine plumes and fronts: importance to small fish and plankton in coastal waters of NSW, Australia. Continental Shelf Research 14: 655-672.
- Schroeder A., M.J. Lowry and IM Suthers. 1994. Sexual dimorphism in the red morwong Cheilodactylus fuscus. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45: 1173-1180.
- Suthers, IM, Sundby, S. 1993. Dispersal and growth of pelagic juvenile Arcto-Norwegian cod (Gadus morhua), inferred from otolith microstructure and water temperature. Journal of Marine Science 50: 261-270
- Suthers, IM 1992. The use of condition indices in larval fish. pp 49-58. In D.A. Hancock (ed.) Proceedings No. 15 of the Australian Society of Fish Biology 1991, Bureau of Rural Resources
- Suthers, I. M., Fraser, A., Frank,K. 1992. Comparison of lipid and morphometric condition indices of pelagic juvenile cod Gadus morhua from the Canadian Atlantic. Marine Ecology Progress Series 84: 31-40.
- Suthers, IM and K.T. Frank. 1991. Comparative persistence of marine fish larvae from demersal and pelagic eggs off southwestern Nova Scotia, Canada. Marine Biology 108: 175-184.
- Suthers, IM, and K.T. Frank. 1990. Zooplankton biomass gradient off southwestern Nova Scotia; nearshore ctenophore predation, or hydrographic separation? Journal of Plankton Research 12: 831-850.
- Suthers, IM and K.T. Frank. 1989. Inter-annual distributions of larval and pelagic juvenile cod (Gadus morhua) in southwestern Nova Scotia determined with two different gear types. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 46: 591-602.
- Suthers, IM, K.T. Frank and S.E. Campana. 1989. Spatial comparison of recent growth in post-larval cod (Gadus morhua) off southwestern Nova Scotia: inferior growth in a presumed nursery area. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science. 46: 113-124.
- Suthers, IM and J.H. Gee. 1986. Role of hypoxia in limiting diel spring and summer distribution of juvenile yellow perch (Perca flavescens) in a prairie marsh. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science. 43: 1562-1570.
- Stewart, K.W., IM Suthers and K. Leavesley. 1985. New fish distribution records in Manitoba and the role of a man-made interconnection between two drainages as an avenue of dispersal. Canadian Field-Naturalist. 99: 317-326.
- Suthers, IM 1984. Functional morphology of the mouthparts and gastric mill in Penaeus plebejus Hess (Decapoda: Penaeidea). Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 35: 785-792.
- Suthers, IM and D.T. Anderson. 1981. Functional morphology of the mouthparts and gastric mill of Ibacus peronii (Leach) Palinura: Scyllaridae). Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 32: 931-944.